Complaints Procedure

If you are unhappy about any aspect of your child’s education or experiences at school, you should make an appointment to see the class teacher.
We would expect this to resolve the situation, but if you remain unhappy and wish to take the matter further, you should make an appointment to see Mrs Sewell (Headteacher) or Mrs Brett (Deputy Headteacher).

If this is not appropriate, or your complaint is not satisfactorily dealt with, our school adheres to the Norfolk County Council complaints policy and more details can be found on the following website:

School Complaints